[Mailman-Users] List not archiving, not sending mail, mischief log shows 'Hostile listname: <list>"

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sun May 17 22:58:30 CEST 2015

Mark,

Adding the line

        SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET = 'Some string unique to your site"

in mm_cfg.py definitely made a huge difference to the spam registration
problem I was having.  Looks like I may not need to migrate the list to a
new address after all.

One more problem to solve.

I'm using Gmail for all our email addresses, and pulling the mail into
Mailman using Fetchmail.  It's been working fine for years.

One of my more important lists recently started getting this in the
Fetchmail console:

    post script, list not found: <listname>

    fetchmail: Error writing to MDA: Broken pipe

and the Mailman error log says:

    <date> gate_news(12061): IOError :  [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/opt/local/var/mailman/locks/gate_news.lock.<site FQDN>.12061.0'

    <date> post(12068): post script, list not found: <listname>

Mailman mischief log says:

      Hostile listname: <listname>

In the smtp-failure log I'm seeing

    Message size exceeds fixed limit

In General Options => Maximum length in kilobytes (KB) of a message body.
Use 0 for no limit.  I have '0'.

I've run the check permissions script ( with -f), it changes nothing.  It
appears that there are 5 messages waiting for delivery, though I don't see
them in any of the queues.

This appears to have started around the time that I upgraded from Mailman
2.1.17 (or so) to 2.1.20

That list is also not archiving properly, so it clearly has problems

All the other lists on the server are working fine as far as I can tell.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?