[Mailman-Users] Trying to get mail working

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Thu May 14 15:26:47 CEST 2015

On Wed, 13 May 2015 23:19:45 +0900, Steve Turnbull wrote:

>Dovecot and Mailman should be mostly independent of each other, while
>both depend crucially on Postfix.  The first thing to do is to find
>the log files for each application, and test that mail works for all
>combinations of inside and outside the system (and often "outside" has
>to be divided into "your domain" and "the rest of the Internet"), to
>and from.  If Dovecot isn't working, you still should be able to see
>mail flowing in the Postfix logs, and possibly learn something about
>its status using the mailq tool.  Next work on being able to read and
>perhaps submit mail via Dovecot.  Finally, do the Mailman
>configuration.

Thanks. That sounds like an excellent starting point.

>Testing Dovecot or Mailman in the absence of a working Postfix is
>going to be hard for you, I guess.  It's not impossible, but it
>requires some knowledge of internals of each program, and a fair
>amount of confidence with Unix tools like pipes and netcat.  Much
>easier to learn to read Postfix's logs to determine when the problem
>is with one of the (non- ;-) cooperating applications, and when it's
>Postfix.

Tools are not a problem, but program internals? Nah, not I, said the
sys admin (LOL). At least I know now what the focal point is of the
three.

>It would help if you describe the symptoms, although perhaps the best
>thing we can do is direct you to a Postfix or Dovecot channel.

No symptoms to report, as I've not begun testing in a serious and
methodical way ... until now, because I was clueless as to where to
begin. I'll work with the above and reply with more details as they
are revealed if things don't work.