[Mailman-Users] Possible problems using a site-wide list auto-responder?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 5 19:06:24 CEST 2015

On 05/05/2015 06:40 AM, Bill.Costa at unh.edu wrote:

> The auto-responder feature built into Mailman looks like it would
> be perfect for the site-wide list as a way of letting users know
> when somebody will be looking at their questions (normal business
> hours) and to point them to self-help documentation.  But since
> the site-wide list is used for various automated tasks, are there
> any downsides or cautions in using this feature?  I was thinking
> of turning it on both for the posting address as well as the
> -owner address.

There should no problem at all using it for the posting address or the
-owner address.

There are various notices from the list to the owner, e.g. bounce
notifications, posts requiring moderation, etc. that are actually sent
to the -owner address before being resent from there to the
owners/moderators. You don't want auto responses to those, but that's
covered in that the auto responder won't reply to messages with
sent with Precedence: bulk or list.