[Mailman-Users] /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 4 03:59:36 CEST 2015

On 05/03/2015 05:15 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Mark Sapiro writes:
>  >
>  > Actually, AFAIK, the Red Hat (hence CentOS) Mailman package is the only
>  > one that does it right.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "right".

I actually meant 'right' in a much more limited sense. Also, I had
actually forgotten John Dennis' whole mm_cfg.py thing and it's
'exceptional' treatment in Red Hat. I agree with what you've said here.

I only meant that for the most part Red Hat puts the files where they
belong under FHS and teaches Mailman to look for them there.

Debian also puts the files where they belong, including putting
mm_cfg.py in /etc/mailman/ which I agree is the right place, but Mailman
still thinks all the files are in /var/lib/mailman and those that
aren't, which is a bunch, are symlinked from there including a symlink
from /var/lib/mailman/Mailman to /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman and then a
second one from /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py to
/etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py. While this all works, and it is arguably better
than patching Mailman in ways that make it more difficult to upgrade
from source should you want to, it just seems somehow unclean to me, and
that's all I meant to say.

Does it right was really not the correct characterization, particularly
since I'm reminded of Red Hat's mm_cfg.py handling.