[Mailman-Users] /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py (was EyeLand's problem)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 3 17:00:36 CEST 2015

On 05/03/2015 06:17 AM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In poking around debian systems to see if I could shed any light on
> EyeLand's problem, I ended up with a question.  On all the machines
> I can ssh to, I have an /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py as well as a
> /usr/lib (or /var/lib) /mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py, and the second is
> a symbolic link to the first.  Why do we have an /etc/mailmand/mm_cfg.py
> at all?

In a word (or acronym), FHS.
<http://www.pathname.com/fhs/>

Actually, AFAIK, the Red Hat (hence CentOS) Mailman package is the only
one that does it right. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/8486953> and the
mailman-developers post linked therefrom. Debian (hence Ubuntu) puts
things in the FHS recommended places, but everything not in
/var/lib/mailman/ is symlinked from there so Mailman itself still thinks
everything is in /var/lib/mailman/.