[Mailman-Users] Mailman and dmark help -- please

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 2 20:10:01 CEST 2015

Dennis Longnecker writes:

 > I really -- really want the list set so when someone gets an e-mail
 > from the list they can see who sent it and when they click reply it
 > goes to the original sender.

Given your user base, the only way to accomplish this is to set your
list so that there is *no* header text inserted in the message body,
there is *no* footer text appended to the message body, and no list
tag or serial number prepended to the Subject field.  Then the AOL and
Yahoo! DMARC policies won't matter, because the DKIM signatures will
continue to verify.  From munging can't quite do what you want, IIRC,
and Wrapping will definitely cause serious problems for some
subscribers and be ugly for all.

 > AOL Users = Don't Get it

I don't know why they don't get any mail, but I suspect that AOL has
decided your list is a spam source.  You'll have to ask AOL about
that.  However, mxtoolbox.com says you're not on any blacklists:
http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a198.58.94.90&run=toolpage#

 > E-mail from MSN to list
 > Comcast Users = DOn't Get it
 > AOL Users = Don't Get it
 > Yahoo Users = Don't Get it
 > users with arvixe accounts = Do Get it.

I have no clue about this one.  Perhaps it has something to do with
the DNS issue described at the very end, but I would think that would
mean each recipient would either get all mail or get none.

 > E-mail from GMAIL to list
 > Comcast Users = DOn't Get it
 > AOL Users = Don't Get it
 > Yahoo Users = Don't Get it
 > users with arvixe accounts = Do Get it.

This has nothing to do with DMARC, as gmail.com has a p=none policy.

 > E-mail from Comcast to list
 > Comcast Users = DO Get it
 > AOL Users = Don't Get it
 > Yahoo Users = Do Get it
 > outlook.com = Do Get it
 > users with arvixe accounts = Do Get it.

This is the expected outcome, comcast.net also has p=none.

 > E-mail from AOL to list
 > Comcast Users = DO Get it
 > AOL Users = Don't Get it
 > Yahoo Users = Dont Get it
 > outlook.com = Dont Get it
 > users with arvixe accounts = Do Get it.

This is semi-expected; I'm surprised that Comcast doesn't respect
AOL's p=reject policy.

 > E-mail from Outlook to list
 > Comcast Users = DO Get it
 > AOL Users = Don't Get it
 > Yahoo Users = Dont Get it
 > outlook.com = Dont Get it
 > users with arvixe accounts = Do Get it.

This has nothing to do with DMARC, as gmail.com has a p=none policy.

 > E-mail from Yahoo to list
 > Comcast Users = DO Get it
 > AOL Users = Don't Get it
 > Yahoo Users = Do Get it
 > outlook.com = Do Get it
 > users with arvixe accounts = Do Get it.

This is semi-expected; I'm surprised that Comcast doesn't respect
Yahoo!'s p=reject policy.

 > Any sugestions?  My site is troop101-wa.org if looking at its DNS
 > records could help.

Your MX record says to send mail to troop101-wa.org, but the A record
says the IP address is 198.58.94.90, and the reverse lookup on the IP
resolves to stats.puffin.arvixe.com.  I don't know if this is a
problem that could cause mail failure or not.  You could try changing
the MX record to stats.puffin.arvixe.com.