[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list ... maybe not right, but how we want to serve our community

Dean Suhr deansuhr at deansuhr.us
Tue Mar 31 20:28:53 CEST 2015

Hi Mark,

Our subscriber dynamic on our discussion lists is slightly different.  While Mailman may eliminate the duplicate email sends to folks who have their messages replied to by readers, is important that we achieve two things with our list messages:

1) We want all replies to go to the list, however, we do not want the sender’s email disclosed (this are medical discussion lists and we need to preserve some basic contact privacy)
2) We DO want the sender’s name to be visible as part of the FROM since the senders may not include their name in the body of their message.

What we would like is:
a) DMARC compliance and munging
b) the From to read "sender via list name", i.e. “Dean Suhr - via Mailman-Users” for this list
c) no matter if the user clicks REPLY or REPLY-ALL the reply goes only to the list

We want to be able to provide a controlled experience for all participants without having to change their personal behaviors.   Prior to DMARC we were able to provide this capability (with sender name as from and all replies to the list) for our users.

I am struggling with v2.1.18-1 to establish this configuration.  If this option combination is not available can you point me to where in the code I might have to manually tweak?

Thanks,

Dean