[Mailman-Users] Unwanted default entry in field "Your email address" in welcoming message

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 26 15:44:55 CET 2015

On 03/25/2015 02:08 PM, Paddy wrote:
> I am setting up a mailing list. When I add a subscriber by using the "Mass
> subscription" facility that subscriber receives a welcoming mail. That mail
> contains a paragraph "Subscribing to XY", "XY" being the name of the list.
> Within that paragraph there is a field "Your email address" and this field
> already contains a name (not an email address) which happens to be a
> username that I use in a related activity. I've no idea where Mailman got it
> from and why it inserted it as a default into this email field. How do I
> restore this field to blank as default in the welcoming page ?

The default template for the list welcome email does not contain any
"Subscribing to ..." paragraph.

Check the

List-specific text prepended to new-subscriber welcome message
(Details for welcome_msg)

box on the list's General Options page, and go to the "Edit the public
HTML pages and text files" link on the upper right of the list's admin
pages and check the "Welcome email text file".