[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Thomas Gramstad thomas at ifi.uio.no
Mon Mar 23 17:46:51 CET 2015

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015, Al Black wrote:
>
>>  Further to the point, between top posting and lack of editing, the digest
>>  format of list posts are essentially unreadable.
>
> Do you mean the MIME digests produced by mailman ? I totally disagree, they
> are one of the best features.
>
> Subscribing in digest mode allows me to receive one cumulative post per day
> (about, unless there is more traffic) and deal with them not interrupting my
> other activities.
>
> A proper MUA shall allow to read each message in the digest as if it were a
> single e-mail (and reply, archive, forward etc. etc.).

But people don't have proper MUAs, or if they do, many don't know
how to use them. So if you allow the digest version, somebody
will respond to one of the messages in the digest version with a
oneliner response which is top posted, followed by the quotation
of the whole digest, and with a pointless Subject: (digest
number) thrown in for good measure.

Thomas Gramstad
thomas at ifi.uio.no