[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sun Mar 22 17:14:22 CET 2015

On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 11:32 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 3/20/2015 8:38 PM, Richard Damon <Richard at Damon-Family.org> wrote:
> > Thunderbird isn't quite like that, but when I reply to a message from
> > the list I am given 3 options:

> > Reply to List
>
> Do you mean that you see a single button with a drop-down that provides
> these three choices?
>
> If so, then you are using the 'Smart Reply' button that I described
> earlier, that

As of T-bird 31.4.0 for Ubuntu Linux 12.04 the _default_ behavior is to
present a "Reply List" button with a drop-down appendage when the index
cursor is located on a list post.  The when this tab is clicked, a
drop-down drop-down menu is attched to this button presents the above
listed options.  I determined this empirically by deleting T-bird and my
user config for it on one of my VMs and reinstalling it from scratch.

Nowhere in the visible UI is "Smart Reply" mentioned, nor is it listed
in the preferences menu.  This may be a default of the installation
rather than of of T-bird itself.

> a) is only available on the preview pane header toolbar, and

Yes, this is where it's located.

If I right-click on the preview pane itself (which is separate from the
header/button pane) I get a pop-up menu with "Reply to List" on it,
regardless of whether or not a post is a list post.  If I click on this
option for a non-list post I get a reply/composition window with the To
address empty.  For a list post, this is filled in with the list address
by T-bird.

> b) has to be manually placed there (unless it is now placed there by
> default automatically, which it wasn't when it was first introduced).

The "Reply List" button is apparently there by default when a list post
is selected.  T-bird 31.4.0 is doubtless not the latest version, since
the Linux distributions on my VMs is a few years old, so the behavior
may have changed since then.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"