[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Larry Kuenning larry at qhpress.org
Sun Mar 22 03:08:28 CET 2015

On 3/21/2015 8:52 PM, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Saturday 21 March 2015, Al Black wrote:
>> Although the ideal solution is obviously users changing their behaviour
>> and or MUAs, I've wondered whether an "auto-trim" function within mailman
>> would make sense (for digest users...)
>
> Yes! For every one, not just digest users. And it should default to removing
> all but one single level of quoted text (regardless of top or bottom
> posting) and be *user* setable to none removed or all quoted text removed.

Settable by which user?  The sender or the recipient?

And wouldn't a default of removing all but one level of quoted text make
nonsense of some posts?  E.g. in the passage above, one needs the inner
quotation to know what the outer quotation refers to.

It seems to me correct editing of quotation sequences requires human
thought, not just mechanical text manipulation.  Even though some people
expect their computers to think for them.

--
Larry Kuenning
larry at qhpress.org