[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sat Mar 21 17:35:28 CET 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 22:39 -0500, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> I think users who prefer top-posting are mostly giving into their MUA's
> defaults. I don't think most users face MUA inability to edit quoted
> material. I find the users are also unwilling to put more time into
> editing, so they don't and now so many don't it is expected that
> Microsoft Outlook users (for example) will top-post.

I don't think a lot of designers of MUAs are willing to put more time
into designing software that really meets the standards set by best
practices for email in general, much less the requirements of list
posting.

I find it quite distasteful to try to work around stupid software
design.  I'd far rather deal with software with predictable bugs than
with software that treats me like an idiot, which is why I stick with
Evolution for Linux.

Apple is the worst!  Mac Mail is bad, and mail clients for iOS - iPhones
and iPads - are worse.

So people are going to have to forgive me (or not) if I sometimes
violate the rules of good netiquette.  I cut other people a lot of slack
in this regard.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"