[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list / Re:

Fri Mar 20 13:46:14 CET 2015

On 3/20/15 8:27 AM, A.K. Eyma wrote:
> Having all mail of a list come in with [listname] first in
> each subject line is more tidy. In that way you would
> differentiate at one glance in your inbox between
>
> Re: [Mailman-Users] The "right" way
>
> for responses that have been sent offlist to you
>
> and
>
> [Mailman-Users] Re: The "right" way
>
> for responses that have been sent onlist, i.e. via the list.
>
> [] is the list's 'stamp' on mails, why insert it after Re:?
>
> I am making sense, really! ;))
>

> kind regards,
> Aayko Eyma

I suspect that it isn't that the list added the name after the Re:, but
that the MUA left it there and added the Re: first, and the list saw
that the tag was already in the message and left it there. This keeps
the subject tidy.

If the list added a new one in front, you would get multiple list tags
in the subject.

If the list also removed the old one, you are apt to get multiple Re:
unless the list also removed those (which makes it harder to see which
are replies) You will get the multiple Re: as the normal rule is add Re
unless the message already begins with one, and your moved tag makes the
re no longer in front, so it won't suppress adding it again.

--
Richard Damon