[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Mar 20 04:14:34 CET 2015

On 3/19/2015 6:59 PM, David Andrews wrote:

> Everyone should remember that your needs are not necessarily the same as
> others.  I run some 250 lists that primarily cater to blind persons, and top
> posting is the norm.

And for those lists, it's accepted practice because it works for them. Most
of the lists I'm on highly discourage top-posting, which works well for
their readers. (I observe that the message I'm replying to was entire
bottom-posted.)

> While we can sort it all out, despite quoting style,
> top posting is the easiest in most situations.

Not sure what you mean about quoting there as top-posting pretty much
dictates the quoting style- everything from previous messages is below the
new material; it's simply a matter of how much you remove. So even based
solely on the comments on this list, I think you'll find that top-posting is
not "the easiest". Well, maybe "easiest" ("laziest"?) in the sense of
effort, but not "best" or "most useful" or "easiest to follow".

And for forestall the arguments about not trimming messages- sure, memory is
cheaper now, comm lines are faster, drives are bigger, most people use GUI
mail readers, but that's no reason to cart around sometimes thousands of
no-longer-relevant verbiage. Especially when adding a two-line comment...

Anyway, YMMV, mine does.

z!