[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Mar 19 22:56:00 CET 2015

On 3/19/2015 2:19 PM, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> When I reply to a message on a mailing list, what is the “right” way to do it?
> Should I be deleting previous thread text from my response?
> Should I be adding anything in?
> Is there some general ideas for the “right” way to reply to a message on a list?

It all depends, and is rife with arguments. Look on line for
"top-posting/bottom-posting" and "reply-list/reply-sender" and you'll find
many, ahem, strident arguments for each way.

For most lists, I press the "reply-list" button, delete the extraneous text,
and enter my response (as I've done here).

At the very least, remove duplicated list footers, since each message will
get a new one.

z!