[Mailman-Users] duplicates

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 19 20:32:48 CET 2015

On 03/19/2015 11:31 AM, Marco Stoecker wrote:
> On 03/19/2015 05:22 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> On 03/18/2015 02:46 PM, Marco Stoecker wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Mailman up and running. I just sent an e-mail to 5 lists
>>> and the e-mail came duplicated to the recipients. I checked the
>>> header and the only difference is the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Header: X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.5 required=5.0
>>> tests=BAYES_00 autolearn=unavailable version=3.3.1
>>>
>>> 2. Header: X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.5 required=5.0
>>> tests=BAYES_00 autolearn=ham version=3.3.1

OK. So there was only one duplicate, yes? And that duplication occurred
prior to the spam filtering that added the above header so presumably it
wasn't caused by filtering rules in your MUA.

> Indeed, I looked only to the headers I recieved
> (Iceweasel->View->Message Source). Even now I checked those header my
> wife got, because she and I are in different lists, but received
> duplicates. Her headers seems identical.

Are all the Received: headers identical including Queue IDs and time
stamps? If so, the duplication must have occurred late in the delivery
chain.

> But in this dedicated case I wrote to 5 lists where the members are
> disjunct and my wife, and I got duplicates. I don't know why :-S
>
> I assumed that the others got duplicates too, but I have to proof.

It difficult to say what's happening here without seeing the MTA logs
from the various servers where duplication might have occurred, but
unless there are entries in Mailman's smtp-failure log on the Mailman
server, it is very unlikely that Mailman sent duplicates.