[Mailman-Users] duplicates

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 19 17:22:22 CET 2015

On 03/18/2015 02:46 PM, Marco Stoecker wrote:

> I have Mailman up and running. I just sent an e-mail to 5 lists and
> the e-mail came duplicated to the recipients. I checked the header and
> the only difference is the following:
>
> 1. Header:
> autolearn=unavailable version=3.3.1
>
> 2. Header:
> autolearn=ham version=3.3.1

I'm confused. Are you looking at all the headers or just those your MUA
shows you by default?

If you look at all the headers, at a minimum, some Received: headers and
Mailman's X-BeenThere: header should be different.

> How can a avoid duplicates in future? What is the reason?

Normally, if you cross post to 5 lists, people who are members of more
than one of the lists will receive a copy of the post from each of the
lists of which they are members.

The only way to avoid this is by using the Non-digest options ->
regular_exclude_lists feature. For example, if you regularly post a
single post to list1, list2, list3, list4 and list5, you could put
list2, list3, list4 and list5 in list1's regular_exclude_lists, and put
list3, list4 and list5 in list2's regular_exclude_lists, and put list4
and list5 in list3's regular_exclude_lists and finally put list5 in
list4's regular_exclude_lists.

Then if a post is addressed to all 5 lists, anyone who is a member of
list2, list3, list4 or list5 will not receive the post from list1 and
anyone who is a member of list3, list4 or list5 will not receive the
post from list2 and so on. See the (Details for regular_exclude_lists)
link for more info.