[Mailman-Users] Can't let subscriber access the archive. Help please.

Gao gao at pztop.com
Wed Mar 11 19:02:21 CET 2015

On 15-03-11 10:08 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 03/10/2015 05:03 PM, Gao wrote:
>> My mailman server send out a password reminder to all subscribers once a
>> month. On the email, it has a URL to the emembership management page
>> like this:
>>
>> http://zeta.pztop.com/mailman/options/sj-news/gao%40pztop.com
>>
>> Click this link it take you to a web page which pop up a login dialogue
>> window. I use the subscribers email as login name, password is from the
>> reminder email, but the authentication failed!
>
> I'm a bit confused. The above link is to your options page, not some
> other user's, and that page doesn't have a field for the subscribers
> email address. If you mean you actually went to
>
> <http://zeta.pztop.com/mailman/options/sj-news>
>
> and entered the user's email and password or you went to
>
> <http://zeta.pztop.com/mailman/options/sj-news/user%40example.com>
>
> and entered the user's password, then there is a problem, but if you went to
>
> <http://zeta.pztop.com/mailman/options/sj-news/gao%40pztop.com>
>
> and entered the other user's password, that won't work.
>

>> All I want is 1) subscriber should able to log in and manage his
>> account, and 2) the member should be able to access the archive page. I
>> don't know how to set this up so could some one give me a hand? Thanks a
>> lot.
>
> It is possible the password has whitespace or other unprintable
> characters. Unfortunately, without command line access to the server,
> you can't fix this.
>
> If you have command line access, you can use Mailman's bin/withlist tool
> to examine and change the user's password. as in the following transcript
>
>   /path/to/mailman/bin/withlist -l sj-news
> The variable `m' is the gpc-test MailList instance
> 'old_pw'
> Unlocking (but not saving) list: sj-news
> Finalizing
>
> If you don't have access to do this and can't enlist the help of someone
> who does, you'll have to delete the existing user and re-add her with a
> known password.

I spent couple hours and figured this out. It is not Mailman but Apache
security setting cause the problem.

This mail list is a private internal mail list. The previous admin set
Apache to only allowed certain user to access the whole site. This
blocks all access except one user - mailadmin. Now I disabled this
restriction, instead I set the maillist to "private"  for archive access.

Mark, thanks for the help.

Gao