[Mailman-Users] ListProc to Mailman migration -- any tools or guides?

Chris Nulk cnulk at scu.edu
Mon Mar 2 22:20:09 CET 2015

On 3/2/2015 12:44 PM, Bill.Costa at unh.edu wrote:
>  Chris Nulk <cnulk at scu.edu> recently wrote, in part...
>
>> Remember that communications with the list owners is extremely
>> important.
>
> Indeed!

[snip]
>> We did change how we populated several of our lists though
>> which was a bit of a challange (we went from populating via a
>> static mechanism once per year to dynamic LDAP populating).
>
> I have a similar issue -- I maintain student announcement lists
> by college and class year, or even down to major code, with a
> weekly update from Registrar's records.  I'll have to build that
> all over again for Mailman.  Doesn't look like it should be too
> bad using the command line tools.

If you can build LDAP queries to derive your list membership by college,
class year, etc., you may want to look into using the LDAPMembership
adapter.  The only issues are list members cannot remove themselves from
the list or change any user options.  We use it to build four of our
important "essential" communications lists for our community here
(members are not allowed to remove themselves from the "essential" lists).

> Thanks for the observations and advice.
>
> ...BC

No problem.  Happy to help.

Chris