[Mailman-Users] ListProc to Mailman migration -- any tools or guides?

Chris Nulk cnulk at scu.edu
Mon Mar 2 19:09:57 CET 2015

A few years ago, we switched from ListProc to Mailman.  We didn't have
as extensive a set of lists as do you however.

Remember that communications with the list owners is extremely important.

What we did was:
0. Have a firm timeframe to complete the change over.
1. Try to weed out as many lists as you can that may not be used anymore.
2. Set up Mailman in parallel with ListProc.
3. Create new lists in Mailman to replace the lists in ListProc (we
changed our naming convention so there wasn't a 1 to 1 move).  If your
lists are going to be named the same, simple create a list in Mailman
for each list to be moved from ListProc.
4. List owners of the Mailman lists should be the same as ListProc lists.
5. Communicate with the list owners of the ListProc lists and let them
know how to access and configure the list on Mailman.
6. Give list owners time to make their changes (e.g. add moderators, set
moderation, etc.) and test the list.
7. After list owner testing, populate the list (or have the list owner
do it) membership.
8. Communicate with the list owners for a cutover time (either
individually or all at once) to do any file conversions like archives, etc.
9. Monitor the process carefully.
10. Remember that firm timeframe, well some list owners are still going
to miss it.  Be prepared.

Overall, the process went very smoothly for us.  We did not convert the
archives.  We did change how we populated several of our lists though
which was a bit of a challange (we went from populating via a static
mechanism once per year to dynamic LDAP populating).

Chris