[Mailman-Users] Wrap Message and Munge From aren't happening

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 17 20:29:34 CEST 2015

On 06/17/2015 09:02 AM, Gretchen R Beck wrote:

> I have a new test mailman server running 2.1.18.1.  It's got some customizations in it from our old 2.1.9 server.
>
> Everything seems to work except the DMARC policy -- specifically, if I send mail to a list from my yahoo address, it bounces if the DMARC moderation action for the list is set to Accept (expected), Wrap Message, or Munge From (unexpected) are set.

Is dnspython installed in the Python that your MM uses? If you had
installed from source, you couldn't have successfully completed
./configure without this dependency, but if you installed some other way ...

invoke the Python used by your MM and do

import dns.resolver

If this succeeds, you have it. If not, you need to install it. Get it
from <http://www.dnspython.org/> or
<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/dnspython/> or install it with pip.

Also, if it is not available, there should be 'DNS lookup for
dmarc_moderation_action for list XXX not available' messages in
Mailman's error log.

If that is not the issue,, are there 'DNSException: Unable to query
DMARC policy ...' messages in Mailman's error log. If so, you may need
to set larger than default values for DMARC_RESOLVER_TIMEOUT and
DMARC_RESOLVER_LIFETIME in mm_cfg.py.

Are there any 'DMARC lookup for LIST (email_address) found p=reject ...'
entries in Mailman's vette log?

Are you posting from ... at yahoo.com? Other yahoo domains such as
yahoo.co.uk and so forth do not publish DMARC policies. You might also try

dig txt _dmarc.yahoo.com

on your mailman server just to verify you get a result like "v=DMARC1\;
p=reject\; ...".

Finally (or maybe first), you could try setting from_is_list to Munge
>From or Wrap Message to see if that works. That does it unconditionally
without DNS lookups of DMARC policy.

If that doesn't work, your 2.1.9 customizations are likely the reason.