[Mailman-Users] Hide email address of specific sender

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 8 21:12:52 CEST 2015

On 06/08/2015 10:25 AM, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> I have had a request from a specific sender that their email address be hidden from postings (kinda like what the munging in the DMARC action does).  Is there a way to do this for this *one* member only?

Mailman can't do it without some kludgy hack to the source. Also, Munge
>From actions take great pains to ensure that the original From: address
is exposed in either Reply-To: or Cc: depending on other list settings.

The user can do it herself. If the envelope sender (Unix From) or the
Sender: header (if any) of the message is a list member, the post will
be considered to be from a list member even if the From: address is not.
Both the envelope sender and Sender: header of the delivered post are
replaced with the list-bounces address, so the original contents are not
exposed to the list.

So, if she sends her post with headers like

To: the_list at ...
Sender: her_real_address at ...
From: the_list_or_some_bogus_address at ...

The post will be considered by Mailman to be from a member, and her
member address won't be exposed. Of course, she needs to use an MUA that
allows her to manipulate these headers.