[Mailman-Users] Mailman list mail for server loops back to myself

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 16 02:43:10 CEST 2015

On 7/15/15 4:48 PM, Robert Susmilch wrote:
> On 07/11/2015 11:12 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> On 7/10/15 9:12 AM, Robert Susmilch wrote:
>
>>> Additionally I cannot get the web admin pages to work, as I get a
>>> 500 error. However I've read many comments that I need to disable
>>> suexec and other options. I am running Wordpress as well as many
>>> other odds and ends and would prefer to not screw those up. My
>>> main concern is just to get the list working, webpage admin would
>>> just be icing.
>

>> What's in the web server (Apache) error log?
>
> I absolutely hate ISPConfig... it fights me at every turn. I'm also an
> apache newbie and that doesn't help. I'd be happy to run a small list
> for maybe a dozen people, I can manually add them to not fight with
> apache right now.

That doesn't answer my question?

>>> mm_cfg.py
>>>
>>> MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman' DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN =
>>> 'http://%s/cgi-bin/mailman/' PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL =
>>> '/cgi-bin/mailman/private' IMAGE_LOGOS         =
>>> '/images/mailman/' DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST =
>>> 'server1.rootunlimited.com' DEFAULT_URL_HOST   =
>>> 'server1.rootunlimited.com' add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,
>>> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST) DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en'
>>> DEFAULT_SEND_REMINDERS = 0 MTA='Postfix'
>>> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['susmilch.com']
>
>> You probably want
>
>> add_virtualhost('???.susmilch.com', 'susmilch.com')
>
>> and likewise other virtual domains.
>
> So that virtual domain should be already taken care of with
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST?

But DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is 'server1.rootunlimited.com' which is not
'susmilch.com'.

>>> POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/etc/mailman/virtual_to_transport.sh'
>
>> Presumably you are doing this because Dovecot is the default LDA in
>> your postfix. It should work if properly configured. It doesn't
>> create virtual-mailman.db because it doesn't use it. it uses
>> transport_maps to map list addresses to Postfix's local transport
>> and that in turn uses aliases to deliver to Mailman.
>

> I was doing this because someone, somewhere, said to create this script.

OK, we'll go with it it the remarks below.

> [root at server1 log]# postconf -n
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

Here you need to add hash:/etc/mailman/aliases, i.e.,

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman,

Remove hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman. It is not used in your case
which is why Mailman doesn't create virtual-mailman.db automatically

> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf,
> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf,
> hash:/etc/postfix/psy2200

> I'm unsure what more configuration you require. Amavisd.conf?

If you make the above changes to main.cf, i.e., add
hash:/etc/mailman/aliases to alias_maps and remove
hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman from virtual_alias_maps and also keep
hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/transport-mailman in transport_maps, I think
Postfix will deliver to Mailman.

If you are interested in solving your web server 500 error, show me the
relevant apache error log stuff.