[Mailman-Users] private and public archive directory permissions

Noah noah-list at enabled.com
Mon Jul 13 02:58:00 CEST 2015

Hi there,

I migrated to a new server and I am back again with permission issues.
I am running apache2 on an ubuntu 14.04 server.

is there a good tutorial out there that explains the best practices for
ownership for the different directories and sub-directories

I run check_perms -f as root and some of the same directories still need
correcting even after running 'check_perms -f' as root many times.

I have a list user and a mailman user and group that I moved over from
my old server.   Apache2 is running as www-data .

I am using mbox is that matters.

here is some config:

/var/lib/mailman/archives $ ls -l
total 8.0K
drwxrws--x 110 mailman 4.0K Jul  4 22:44 private/
drwxrwsr-x   2 mailman 4.0K Jun  2  2012 public/

/etc/apache2/conf-enabled $ ls -l mailman.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 30 Jul 13 00:52 mailman.conf ->
../conf-available/mailman.conf

/etc/apache2/conf-enabled $ cat ../conf-available/mailman.conf

Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
Alias /images/mailman/ /usr/share/images/mailman/
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/>
      AllowOverride None
      Options ExecCGI
      AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/>
      Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
      AllowOverride None
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all