[Mailman-Users] Can't "close" a list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 7 04:57:27 CEST 2015

On 07/06/2015 01:27 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> Action to take for postings from non-members for which no explicit action
> is defined.
>
> to "hold"

This should work to hold all messages from non-members, but more below.

> The membership list consists of a single address, and I sent a message to
> the list from a different address and I was very surprised that it just
> went through.  So I tried a more brute-force thing for my test: I changed
>
>    List of non-member addresses whose postings will be automatically
> rejected.
>
> to "^.*"

If you put

^.*

Or just

^.

in reject_these_nonmembers, all non member posts will be rejected.

> And it came right through:
>
> From: "Bernie Cosell" <bpcosell at email.vccs.edu>
> To: testlist at cosell.net
> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 15:38:20 -0400
>
> Is there something else I need to enable or set or something other than
> the settings on the "sender filters" page to get outsiders blocked?

Both the things you did apply to non-member posts. I suspect the issue
is that Mailman thinks your test posts are from a member because (by
default at least) if any of the smtp envelope sender or any From:,
it a member post.