[Mailman-Users] Unable to access Mailman Web interface

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 3 01:39:36 CEST 2015

On 07/02/2015 09:01 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 08:24:12 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Run check_perms.
>
> Did that. 898 problems found! I hope I didn't break Postfix. Luckily I
> logged before and after in case I have to revert.

Check_perms only affects files and directories in Mailman's tree(s).
Postfix should be unaffected.

> After check_perms fixed all problems, I re-ran it and got this:
>
> Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
>          This could allow other users on your system to read private
> archives.
>          If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult
> the installation manual on how to fix this.
> No problems found
>
> Which section should I be reading?

<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>, but the question is
this. Are there users who can log in to a shell or sftp or whatever who
should not have any access to private list archives? If the answer is
no, o+x on /path/to/mailman/archives/private is not a problem. If the
answer is yes, set it o-x and change its owner to the web server uid. If
you set it o-x and don't change the owner, public archive access won't work.