[Mailman-Users] Archiving problems

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Thu Jan 29 04:15:07 CET 2015

On 1/26/15 11:27 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 09:12 PM, Bill Christensen wrote:
>> All the archives work when in private state.  But I had to manually
>> change the owner of all the publicly available list archives to _www in
>> private in order for them to be readable.  Otherwise they get a big
>> "Forbidden" message.  Should *all* the lists be _www? Everything in
>> archives/private, or just the archive folders and not the mbox folders?
>> The archives/private folder itself is already _www.
>>
>> Thanks for your continued tolerance and assistance.
>
> For public archives to work, the web server needs to be able to search
> the archives/private directory that the archives/public/ symlinks point
> into.
>
> Normally this only requires that the archives/private/ directory itself,
> not any subordinates, be either o+x or owned by the web server user. The
> subordinate LISTNAME and LISTNAME.mbox directories are normally
> rwxrwsr-x and Mailman's group so Mailman can read and write them and
> subordinates will be created in Mailman's group and the web server can
> read and search them.
>
> It's only archives/private itself which is in Mailman's group and either
> rwxrws--x or if rwxrws---, owned by the web server user. Otherwise,
> ownership doesn't matter.
>
> See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>.

Well, I had it all working on Monday night.

I got a report today that someone was getting "Forbidden" again.

The owner of the list in question (and only that one list, not any of
the other publicly archived lists - which have not seen any posts in the
last two days) had changed back from _www to root.  CHOWNing it back to
_www again brings up the archive, but then it was only showing the last
two days worth of archives (owner of those posts: _mailman, the rest
were root).  Rebuilding the archives with --wipe and running Check perms
-f (which is already cron jobbed to run every night) made the rest of
them visible again.

What do i need to do so that I don't have to jump these hoops daily?

Thanks yet again.