[Mailman-Users] An oldie but a goodie: Operation not permitted

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 27 19:27:52 CET 2015

On 01/27/2015 02:39 AM, David Benfell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running on FreeBSD:
> FreeBSD home.parts-unknown.org 10.1-STABLE FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE #0 r277524: Thu Jan 22 00:14:29 PST 2015     root at home.parts-unknown.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> All of a sudden mailman isn't starting:
>
> home# service mailman start
> No problems found
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 556, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 391, in main
>     lock = acquire_lock(force)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 215, in acquire_lock
>     lock = acquire_lock_1(force)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 203, in
> acquire_lock_1
>     if not force or qrunner_state():
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 187, in qrunner_state
>     os.kill(pid, 0)
> OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted
>
> I ran bin/check_perms ; it found no problems. I ran bin/check_db ; it
> found nothing to do.

If Mailman is actually not running, you have a stale lock. After
verifying that Mailman is not running, remove the master-qrunner* files
from Mailman's locks/ directory.

Notes:
1) It looks like you're running

home# service mailman start

as root (# prompt). I can't imagine why os.kill(pid, 0) is not permitted ???

2) It appears the /etc/init.d/mailman (or wherever it is) script doesn't
have the -s option on its mailmanctl start command. This is both good
and bad. The good side is it prevents starting a second Mailman instance
when Mailman is running. The bad side is it won't clean stale locks.