[Mailman-Users] Diagnosing command failures

Gary Merrill ghmerrill at chathamdesign.com
Mon Jan 19 16:10:32 CET 2015

Is there any technique to diagnose precisely why/how a particular (email)
command to a list has failed?

I have a user (a SINGLE user, so far as I know) who cannot get the list of
members by using the 'who <password>' command.  He successfully gets his
password with the 'password' command, but the 'who' command fails.

This user is VERY difficult to work with since he is elderly, sloppy in how
he does things, and is often confused by instructions or requests for
information.  He successfully uses the list for communications.  I'm very
confident that he is either using the wrong password (we in fact determined
that at one point - which took a lot of effort) or is typing in his password
incorrectly.  But short of physically sitting down with him at this point, I
don't know what else to do.

Mailman must have a failure/error log of some sort for each list, does it
not?  How can I see exactly why this user's command is failing?  The
information in the failure messages to the user (when I can get him to
forward these) is uninformative.

Gary H. Merrill

Chatham Design Consultants

+1 919.271.7259