[Mailman-Users] Changing name of mailman list that I own

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 16 01:33:13 CET 2015

On 01/15/2015 03:02 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> So it seems the simplest thing to do is to get my sysadmin
> to create a new list, and delete the old one.

Yes. It seems that would be the best way to do this.

> (I do actually have superuser privileges on the system,
> but am not sure of the finer details of creating a new list,
> as the system is running under FreeBSD, with mmdf MTA,
> and I am not familiar with these.)

Creating and removing lists is straightforward. There are scripts
newlist and rmlist in Milman's bin/ directory. Each has a --help option
to get it to explain itself.

The MTA is potentially the tricky part and I too know nothing about mmdf
and can't help there except to say that whatever MTA changes are
required for removing one list and creating another would be exactly the
same for renaming an existing list.

It would be best to go to the sysadmin for this.