[Mailman-Users] Upgrading/migrating Mailman v2.1.9 -> v2.1.18-1

Chris Nulk cnulk at scu.edu
Thu Jan 15 06:50:44 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 01/14/2015 09:31 AM, Chris Nulk wrote:
> >

> ​......​

> LDAPMemberships.py is not part of GNU Mailman. I think the latest
> version is yours, but in any case you can continue to use whatever
> you're using.

​Yeah, I know.  That list is an extract of the lists I have modified.  I
just copied and pasted it into the message.​

> For the others, if you want to look at changes in advance, go to
> <
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/revision/944?remember=1484&compare_revid=1484
> >
> to compare rev 944 (2.1.9) with rev 1484 (2.1.18-1), scroll down to the
> list where file names are on the left preceded with > and click the > on
> the ones you're interested in to see the diff
>

> > I will also most likely do the same thing I did when I did the original
> > mods to Version.py and versions.py.  I will bump the DATA_FILE_VERSION
> > by one and make only the minimal change needed.
>

> in 2.1.18-1, DATA_FILE_VERSION is already 104. The only reason to
> increment DATA_FILE_VERSION is so versions.Update() will run when an
> older list in first instantiated. Since your changes were made at
> DATA_FILE_VERSION = 97, there's no point in incrementing
> DATA_FILE_VERSION beyond 104.

​Hmmm.  I have already changed it to 105, restarted Mailman, and created a
couple of lists to test.  Is there any harm with deleting the lists,
backing out the change, and restarting Mailman?  If I can do that, I can
take the file off the list of changed files since the only change is the
DATA_FILE_VERSION number.  I haven't migrated the real lists over yet so
there is no damage there.​

> > Actually, here are the
> > two patch files I plan on using for those two files.  So I will make
> > copies of the original files (for all files to be modified) and for
>
> ​........​

> This was the wrong place to add that code. This section of versions.py
> is intended to transform old attributes from say Mailman 2.0 so that
> they have the equivalent semantics in the current version.
>
> The proper way to add a new attribute is in the NewVars(l) function at
> the end around line 430 add
>
>     add_only_if_missing('accept_special_posters', [])
>
> ​Cool.  I will redo the change to do it the proper way.  Thanks for
information.

Mark, you have been awesome with your assistance not only to me but all the
other users of Mailman.

Thank you for your excellent support.

Chris