[Mailman-Users] Upgrading/migrating Mailman v2.1.9 -> v2.1.18-1

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 14 16:57:58 CET 2015

On 01/13/2015 09:04 PM, Chris Nulk wrote:

> Are there any issues I should watch for using the following process?
> Does the process seem reasonable and workable?

It looks OK to me.

> The next issue that I have to mix in are customizations to Mailman.  I plan
> on adding the customizations back in between the first two steps above with
> additional testing of course.

OK

> The question about customizations is how different is the code between
> v2.1.9 and 2.1.18-1?

Many modules are unchanged. Some have significant changes. Some have
minor changes.

> If I create patches with the difference between the original v2.1.9 code
> and my customizations using diff -Nu, will I be able to apply those patches
> to the v2.1.18-1 code?

That's the way to go. See the recent post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2015-January/078261.html>
for more on this.

> Naturally, I will make copies of any files that will be changed before
> applying the patches.  Also, since I do add additional attributes to the
> list configs, I will be very careful with changes to versions.py and
> Version.py.

Your main concern is with DATA_FILE_VERSION in Versions.py. As long as
you apply the changes before moving the lists You just need to be sure
that DATA_FILE_VERSION is > than that of the old installation. Then
versions.py will be run to update the lists when they are moved.

As far as additional attributes are concerned, you could ignore the
whole issue. I wouldn't if for no other reasons than documentation and
consistency, but your lists will presumably have all the additional
attributes already so the code in versions.py to add them (if missing)
won't do any harm, but won't actually be needed. As I said though, I
would ensure the code was there just for documentation and consistency
and in case at some point you migrate a list that doesn't have the
attributes.