[Mailman-Users] All my lists quit working!

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu Jan 8 19:54:44 CET 2015

On Jan 8, 2015, at 7:49 AM, Jan Steinman <Jan at Bytesmiths.com> wrote:

> First, the bad news: Mac OS X 10.6.8. Yea, I've read Mark's dire warning. Please don't shoot me. I'm hoping this is a generic sort of problem.

OS X Server? or OS X (client)?

> When I send a message to ANY of the dozen or so lists I host, my MTA immediately says it doesn't know the addressee.

Log entries please.

> /etc/postfix/main.cf contains the following lines:
> 	virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,hash:/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman,hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_users
> 	alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases

Please provide your postconf -n . That will show how postfix is actually configured, not how you think it is configured by providing just a few lines out of main.cf.

> The file "/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman" is empty.
>
> The file "/var/mailman/data/aliases" has all my lists in it.
>
> The corresponding ".db" files for those two have the same timestamp as their corresponding text files.
>
> Here is an example of what is in the "aliases" file:
>
> 	# STANZA START: beaders
> 	# CREATED: Wed Jan  7 13:06:39 2015
> 	beaders:             "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post beaders"
> 	beaders-admin:       "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman admin beaders"
> 	beaders-bounces:     "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman bounces beaders"
> 	beaders-confirm:     "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman confirm beaders"
> 	beaders-join:        "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman join beaders"
> 	beaders-leave:       "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman leave beaders"
> 	beaders-owner:       "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman owner beaders"
> 	beaders-request:     "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman request beaders"
> 	beaders-subscribe:   "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe beaders"
> 	beaders-unsubscribe: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe beaders"
> 	# STANZA END: beaders
>
> I run "dumpdb aliases.db" and get:
>
> 	[----- start marshal file -----] Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/dumpdb", line 156, in <module> msg = main() 	File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/dumpdb", line 136, in main obj = load(fp) ValueError: bad marshal data

Mailman’s dumpdb is for Python databases. aliases.db is not a Python database.

> Does this mean that "dumpdb" is bad, or does it mean that "aliases.db" is bad, or neither

It means dumpdb is the wrong tool for dumping aliases.db.

> Any help (despite my using an unsupported version) appreciated!

Show log entries and postconf -n as requested above as it looks correct at first glance. Also, check your master.cf to see if there are any overrides (-o) on your smtpd entry.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
http://www.stonejongleux.com/