[Mailman-Users] TOPICS

JB jebva at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 19:50:18 CET 2015

I am setting up a new mailing list and I am having difficulty with the TOPICS option.  The whole problem may be that I am using the feature incorrectly but I am hoping it is intended for what i want to do.  Here is the situation...

I have set up a web site for a small business that have several distinct product lines (lets say fishing, books, and model trains).  I want to be able to set up a single list that is customers can subscribe to and indicate for which combination of the three products they want to get mail.  Then I want the users to be able to send mail out that somehow goes only to the subscribers that have indicated they want to get mail for the product line(s) in question.  A given email may be applicable to one, or any combination of product lines.

I have finished setting up the list and then I went into the TOPICS section and set up three topics (fishing, books, trains).  I do not see anywhere that allows users to subscribe to specific topics nor do I know how to send out an email and indicate which topic(s) it is pertaining to.

I am very dyslexic so reading through a volume of posts to find what I am looking for is extremely difficult for me.  Can someone please tell me what all I need to do to set this up?

I would like to have a subscribe page (or link) that allows the user to sign up for the list and indicate which topics he wants to receive all in one place.  I really want to use custom skinned pages to do this.  I know how to write the pages for a simple subscribe/unsubscribe page but this whole mess with topics is throwing me.