[Mailman-Users] Creating a new list - "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.15"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 22 16:29:37 CET 2015

On 02/22/2015 05:42 AM, Kevin Nowaczyk wrote:
> Feb 22 12:45:54 2015 (19172) command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)
>
> I'm assuming it's a permission problem. If so, what should permissions be, and what files do I need to modify? Do I just need to add the www-data user to the lists group?

The files in question are /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases and
/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db. Also check
/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman and
/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db if they exist.

Adding www-data to the list group should not be needed and in fact won't
help unless something else is wrong as the create CGI wrapper should be
in mailman's group (list or whatever) and SETGID so the process is
already running with effective group list.

All four (if they exist) of the above files should be group writable and
Mailman's group (list or whatever).

The owner is not significant except in the case of aliases.db because
Postfix invokes the mail wrapper as the group of the owner of the
aliases.db file, so if mail delivery is working, don't change this.