[Mailman-Users] Sendmail and apache on Different Servers

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Feb 21 07:05:52 CET 2015

John McIntyre writes:

 > > For the webserver, I think a virtualhost configuration in Apache like
 > >
 > > <VirtualHost *:80>
 > >         ServerName mailman.example.com
[...]
 > > </VirtualHost>

 > Thanks for that, I'm about to try it.
 >
 > When you say 'webserver', you mean the main webserver, to which my router
 > forwards all http(s) traffic?

Well, actually by "webserver" I meant the system of two HTTPds.  But
the configuration snippet above applies to the HTTPD that is directly
accessible from the outside world.  It enables it to relay to and from
the HTTPd serving Mailman.

Note that you may need additional configuration of DNS or routing as
well.  It's possible that your main server will query DNS for
"mailman.example.com" and be directed to itself, or the router will do
that.  It depends on the design of your firewall setup.  The symptom
would be a 404 No Such Resource or maybe a 500 Server Error from the
main HTTPd in the case of DNS misdirection, and failure to connect
(TCP TTL Exceeded due to a routing loop) in the latter, I would guess.