[Mailman-Users] Sendmail and apache on Different Servers

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Feb 20 01:16:25 CET 2015

John McIntyre writes:

 > I'm guessing that apache can proxy for the mailman server, but what
 > about e-mail?

For the webserver, I think a virtualhost configuration in Apache like

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName mailman.example.com
        ServerAdmin you at example.com
        <Location />
                Require all granted
                ProxyPass http://mailman.example.com:80/
                ProxyPassReverse http://mailman.example.com:80/
        </Location>
</VirtualHost>

might do the trick but there may be better alternatives, and some
gotchas.

For the MTA, you need to teach sendmail on the main mail server about
mailman.example.com.  I don't know anything about Sendmail
configuration, but I've seen enough headers to know that the
configuration you need is common (and therefore possible :-).  But
it's a Sendmail configuration issue.

I don't know if there's a lot of Sendmail expertise on this list at
the moment, most of the developers use Postfix or Exim.  So you might
be better off asking on a Sendmail channel.