[Mailman-Users] approved from non-subscriber

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 18 18:56:48 CET 2015

On 02/18/2015 04:34 AM, Danil Smirnov wrote:

> I was surprised by the fact that message from unsubscribed address was
> successfully delivered to the list because of "Approved:" pseudo
> header.
>
> Is this intended behavior? Are there a way to configure list to accept
> messages with Approved: header only if sender is moderated subscriber?

Yes it is intentional. No there is no way (other than code modification)
to configure a list to accept messages with Approved: header only if
sender is moderated subscriber.

Note however that the Approved: (pseudo)header must contain one of up to
three possible passwords to be effective. These are the list admin
password, the list moderator password and beginning in Mailman 2.1.15,
the list poster password.

If the poster knows one of the first two passwords, she can always
approve her post via the web UI after the fact. If she knows the third
password and shouldn't, change it.