[Mailman-Users] Wrong encoding

Danil Smirnov danil at smirnov.la
Fri Feb 6 23:39:07 CET 2015

> Note that the reply from Danil about changing your web server's default
> charset is probably also relevant.

Unfortunately it is not. :(

After some testing I've found that AddDefaultCharset does not help -
it seems like Mailman changes default server's header to its own
default header for US English language: us-ascii.

You can change this for list-specific pages by selecting another
language but not for common lists index page which is always in
us-ascii encoding.

> It looks like you may have entered the list's description attributes and
> probably other things in UTF-8 encoding. It also appears the your
> Mailman installation's default language is English.

It is not true, because you can see correct Russian text on page
provided if you change page's encoding to Cyrillic KOI8-R in your
browser.

In this case I can only suggest quite ugly workaround: to add to
<Mailman home>/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file this line and restart Mailman:

add_language('en',    'English (USA)',       'koi8-r',    'ltr')

This line will force Mailman to output all English pages including
server list index page with KOI8-R encoding.
It will be okay for English and Russian text both.

Danil