[Mailman-Users] Encoding problem with 2.15 to 2.18 upgrade with Finnish

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 14 14:18:21 EST 2015

On 12/13/2015 09:18 AM, Eva Isaksson wrote:

> We have been running 2.15, on Debian, but because of the DMARC situation
> it's time to upgrade to 2.18..

Why not 2.1.20?

> Our upgrades have been rather routine so far, but this time we ran into
> problems. Suddenly, the character encoding was producing quite unreadable
> interfaces.
>
> Believing that the translation file was now supposed to be in utf-8 instead
> of iso-8859-1 I  tried to re-encode all relevant files and change the
> mm_cfg.py values accordingly. This did not help at all.

Mailman's character set for Finnish is iso-8859-1. All templates and the
mailman.po message catalog should be iso-8859-1 encoded. This has not
changed in the source distribution.  I don't know what changes there
might be in the Debian package that would affect this, but I don't see
why there would be any.

You might want to refer to the FAQ article at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/17891606> and consider upgrading from source.
Note that the head of the branch at
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> is quite stable
and is what we are running for all the @python.org lists. See
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/NEWS> for
changes since 2.1.20.

Perhaps there is something in the your web server that is overriding the
charset specified in the META tag in Mailman's web pages?