[Mailman-Users] Many users unsubscribed at once (not by me)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Dec 13 14:40:28 EST 2015

On 12/13/2015 04:42 AM, Hal wrote:

> Are you saying that even though I turn "automatic removal" off I will
> still have postings from certain list members NOT reaching the list (but
> bouncing with an error message back to me, the list owner -possibly also
> with an error alert to the poster as well)?

If you turn of bounce_processing (the only way to turn off automatic
removal other than perhaps setting bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings to a
very large number), Mailman will ignore all bounces of posts. It won't
notify the admin or the user, and if the bouncing user's ISP is
compliant, it won't notify the poster either as all bounce notifications
should be returned to the envelope sender of the delivered post which is
Mailman and not the poster.

> Are there other restrictions in the Mailman software which stops
> postings based on other criteria? If yes, can this/these features be
> turned off so in the end I only rely on "only allow posting from
> existing members"? I assume having the latter enabled will at least
> prevent automated spam messages from reaching the list.

As long as the spam doesn't spoof a list member address.

> Alternatively I'm guessing the solution is to set the list to moderation
> and approve every single message manually. I do have a relatively
> low-volume list, so this is doable (but not something I would enjoy
> enabling) -how is this done actually? By logging into the administration
> interface and clicking on something for every message, or can it be done
> simpler/quicker by simply pressing reply to a certain admin message or
> something?

Controlling what posts reach the list will not have any effect on posts
which are blocked by recipient ISPs for DMARC or other policy reasons
except perhaps indirectly by affecting the reputation of the Mailman
server, but if I understand correctly, your list is one of many on a
shared host, so you are in some sense at the mercy of others.