[Mailman-Users] What's the /var/spool/mailman/virgin for?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 11 11:18:41 EST 2015

On 12/10/2015 12:27 PM, Tony Bibbs wrote:
> I've got an instance of mailman where the contents of
> /var/spool/mailman/virgin holds 1.4G of data.  I'm just curious what this
> directory is for to determine what is putting the data there and what's
> responsible for sending it along.  The same directory is empty for most
> other mailman instances I have access to.

The virgin queue is where Mailman queues all internally generated
messages to be sent. These are things like notices to admins and
moderators, confirmation requests, digests and so forth.

If this queue is filling up (not being processed), either VirginRunner
is not running or is encountering errors. Check Mailman's qrunner and
error logs.

All queues with the exception of bad and shunt (i.e., archive, bounces,
commands, in, news, out, retry and virgin) are processed by a qrunner
and under normal circumstances never have more than a few entries.

Restarting Mailman will at least try to start VirginRunner.