[Mailman-Users] View a user's subscription options

Adrian Pepper arpepper at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 3 16:09:01 EST 2015

On 12/01/2015 17:23:58 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 08:51 AM, Gretchen R Beck wrote:
> > Is there a command line script that can be used to view an individual user's subscription options for a specific list?
>

> I'm not aware of one, but it is fairly simple to do. I'm willing to add
> it to the collection at <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/>, but what do
> you want in the way of output. Presumably the input would be something like
>
> get_user_options listname user at example.com
>
> but what kind of output are you looking for? What fields and in what format?

 I wrote something (really ugly[*], incrementally developed over a period
 of weeks) that produced, based on the main "membership" page(s) that
 produced via web access, e.g.

     apepper at pytone.org smHxanudP "Adrian Pepper"
     apepper at pyttwo.org smHxAnuDP "Adrian Pepper again"
     empty at pytone.org smHxanudP "Empty Recipient List"
     mshapiro at pytone.org smHxanudP "Mark Shapiro"
     onafees at pytthree.org smHXanudP "Oscar Nafees"

 those letter options correspond to reading across on
 https://SERVER/mailman/admin/LISTNAME/members
 sort of like "ls gone a little crazy".

   s/S - subscribe/unsubscribe (not actually implemented, for "safety")
            (though I did once in a test version when it would be useful)
   m/M - moderation off/ON
   h/H - hidden off/ON
   x/X - nomail off/ON (reason lost)
   a/A - ack off/ON
   n/N - not metoo off/ON
   u/U - nodUpes off/ON (ahem!)
   d/D - digest off/ON
   p/P - plaintext off/ON (applies to digest only)

 Needs a cookie file for access.  Vulnerable to formatting changes in
 the web page output, of course.

 I actually have something to take that output as input and "make it so".
 But with at least one bug. (Omitted option letters are turned off, not
 left unchanged).

 But my main goal was to monitor changes, especially "nomail", and
 the email address which was supposed to conform to a standard.

 Though the "make it so" script is actually used for doing remote (web)
 subscriptions, setting desired options and a standard name field.

 And much later I realized that that output includes only some of the
 options available to the user on the user options page.

    https://SERVER/mailman/options/LISTNAME

 I guess you're talking about running the command on the server?  I don't
 know if you want to contemplate something like my "ls gone a little crazy",
 or not.

Adrian.
[*] Lots of analysis done in csh in the top-level csh script