[Mailman-Users] ISO speciific RegExp to filter/discard bot subscribe requests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 30 02:53:47 CEST 2015

On 08/27/2015 02:49 AM, Nelson Kelly wrote:

> Common to ALL of the bot subscribe requests is including within the the
> email address a "+" symbol.
>
> So I tried entering RegExp ^.*+ but Mailman rejected this entry.

Because '+' means 1 or more of the preceding, but the preceding is a
repeat itself so it's a bad regexp.

> But was able to enter RegExp of ^.*/+
> However that allowed all the bot spam requests through.

because that says 0 or more of anything followed by 1 or more slashes
(/) which is unlikely to match anything. (You probably wanted ^.*\+ but
see below.)

> Unable to keep up with the bots changing the address prefix.
>
> Can anyone recommend an example of a RegExp entry which would
> prevent/solve this dilemma?

Yes.

See
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2015-August/079668.html> for