[Mailman-Users] Assistance with altering reply-to behaviours and DMARC

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Aug 29 14:23:23 CEST 2015

Will Yardley writes:
 > On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 01:37:18PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > Stock Mailman 2.1.12 doesn't do any DMARC detection.  This is quite
 > > bizarre that they would backport such a feature rather than update to
 > > 2.1.18-1 or later.  Mailman 2.1 is hardly an unstable package.
 >
 > That's the way most "stable" Linux distributions do it.

I understand that, and I agree with the logic *when you're talking
about feature upgrades*.  I'm just saying I don't think it's a good
idea when you're dealing with a very stable package and an extreme
change in the environment that effectively hamstrings the package --
they should bite the bullet and devote the resources to upgrading that
package, or alternatively declare it unsupported.

 > We use the vendor provided Mailman package, and for the most part,
 > it works for us, though in cases like this, it is problematic.

Precisely my point.  IIUC, by the time they backported, Mailman had
iterated on DMARC three times (first with an unconditional
From-munging patch, then with the original patch to conditionally
munge, and finally with the improved patch to deal with the preserving
the ability to automatically format the response to the author).  They
probably also have other backported bugfixes.  OTOH, Mailman 2 has
basically been feature-frozen throughout the period.