[Mailman-Users] Restricting access to the pipermail archives

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Aug 20 18:13:46 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 01:43:27AM -0500, Billy Crook wrote:
> I want to give my users archives, but require authentication to access the
> archives.  They should not be accessible to non-members.
>
> How can I tie mailman's existing authentication (which can for example
> conceal the member list from non-members), into pipermail?

How about something that steps through each list's list_members,
extracts their Mailman password, runs that (their Mailman password)
through htpasswd, appends to an htaccess file, which you'd then use
for authorization against a <LocationMatch> rule in Apache (or the
equivalent in nginx) -- LocationMatch, so you can use regexp for the
filename to correspond to the listname.

Cron it, and problem "solved"?

"I am invariably puzzled by the attitude of Oxbridge to its
 ecclesiastical past. Hearing grace recited before dinner by
 people you know don’t believe a word of it seems to be
 considered quite normal."
   -- David Colquhoun