[Mailman-Users] Permissions error on all Mailman overnights

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 8 21:39:19 CEST 2015

On 08/08/2015 10:26 AM, Larry Turnbull wrote:

> I just checked the system and I see /var/spool/crontab/mailman.

OK, this is the user crontab for the user 'mailman'.

> /etc/cron.d/mailman does not exist so it is running under the first
> scenario.

Normally /etc/cron.d/mailman does not exist in a source install. Some
packages, e.g. Debian/Ubuntu, install this, but a source install doesn't.

> If I type crontab -u mailman -l I can see the list of mailman cron jobs that
> are scheduled to run.

And what that does is just list the contents of /etc/cron.d/mailman.

> I am trying to figure out what user the cron system is trying to run the
> mailman crons as as that is where I think the problem lies.

crons in crontabs in files /var/spool/crontab/XXX are run as user XXX.

> Running /usr/local/mailman/bin/check_perms reports no problems so I think we
> are good on how permissions are set on the files and folders.
>
> The lists themselves are working fine it is just the cron jobs where things
> are a bit odd.

What does

groups mailman

report? It should be 'mailman : mailman'. If so, and the crons are
getting permission problems, check if SELinux is enabled and if so, try
disabling it.