[Mailman-Users] Somebody could not subscribe to pypy-dev at python.org

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 25 17:42:10 CEST 2015

On 04/22/2015 09:49 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> Maybe at the point where we mention 'you must have cookies enabled'
> we should mention that load balancers can cause problems?

What Stephen said plus, the stuff about cookies is on admin, moderator
and private archive logon pages which someone who goes to the listinfo
page to subscribe doesn't see.  Of course, you are free to edit the
listinfo page(s) for your list(s) via the web admin UI "Edit the public
HTML pages and text files" link and add whatever text you want there.

As I said before, this is reported as a bug
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1447445> which is "fixed" for
the next release, and which fix has been installed for the
mail.python.org Mailman. The fix is for IPv4 addresses, only require the
first 3 octets to match and for IPv6 addresses, only require the address
up to the last : to match. This would have avoided the issue in your
user's case, and I think will avoid it in most if not all cases. Also,
the error messages have been augmented to try to make them point more
directly to the problem.