[Mailman-Users] traceback: TypeError: expected string or buffer

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 23 16:49:27 CEST 2015

On 04/22/2015 10:32 PM, Fil wrote:
>   File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SpamDetect.py", line 74, in
> getDecodedHeaders
>     v = decode_header(re.sub('\n\s', ' ', v))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/re.py", line 151, in sub
>     return _compile(pattern, flags).sub(repl, string, count)
> TypeError: expected string or buffer
>

> I tried to investigate a bit but it appears that in some cases, v is an
> "instance", and the message goes to qfiles/shunt/
>
> Does it ring a bell? (I have to say it might be linked to one of my local
> patches, though I really can't see which.)

In the above, v is the value part of one of the (header_name,
header_value) tuples returned by msg.items() where msg is the incoming
message instance. Both the name and value should be strings.

To the best of my recollection, I have not seen this issue before.

Please send me a copy of one of the shunted .pck files.

Also, are any of your patches to Python's email.message.Message class or
Mailman's Message.Message class.