[Mailman-Users] Bounces being detected as spam/virus sending rate

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Apr 23 05:57:47 CEST 2015

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > Can you suggest anything I can do to avoid triggering the ISP's
 > system?

<humor mood="DMARC black, very very black, Sir!">
Start by removing all yahoo.com and aol.com addresses! ;-)
</humor>

The timing is wrong, and knowing you I suppose you probably already
have a mitigation in place, but to cover all bases: it's possible
you're running afoul of DMARC bounces.  To address that, make sure
your mailman is at least v2.1.18-1, and set one of the DMARC
mitigation options (most likely, you should use Munge From) in the
General Options screen.  See the from_is_list option.

Otherwise, you're right, we need to see the addresses which are
bouncing to guess why they might be bouncing.  Perhaps they are some
kind of spammy thing, subscribed in an attempt to either collect
addresses (but then they should bounce) or to use your list as an
expander for spam.

The bin/list_members script with the --nomail option will get you the
list you want.  It's usually in /var/lib/mailman/, but depending on
your distro it might be somewhere else (/usr/lib/mailman, or yet
another place).